Norfolk Tourist Information
Norfolk Tourist Information
Home Page Latest Ads Most Viewed Visit Planner Advertise Register
  • Search Tip

  •   Welcome to Norfolk


    Norfolk has a fantastic choice of attractions for visitors of all ages, from wonderful stately homes and gardens to family fun parks.

    With the Norfolk Broads National Park, Norfolk also has the best bird watching, boating, and weather in the UK.

    We hope you find all the information you require to plan the perfect holiday in Norfolk, all from this one website.

    Have a very happy holiday!

    Special Features:
    Norfolk Books & Guides
    Norfolk Broads
    Norfolk Events
    Norfolk Famous People
    Movie Locations
    Beach Advice
    Weather Forecast
    Currency Converter
    Send Online Post Cards

    For Advertisers:
    Add a Listing
    Advertising
    Contacts Us

      LOG IN

      Email address
      Password
      


    Norfolk Tourist Information / Historical / Cathedrals & Churches

    Binham Priory
    Set in rolling landscape, Binham Priory is a glorious and inspiring sight, when you round the corner of the road.

    The priory was founded in the late 11th century by Pierre de Valoines, nephew of William the Conqueror. As you can see from the picture much of the priory is still intact.
    Binham Priory Church is at once an outstandingly important architectural monument, and an engaging and inspiring place of worship. Although today greatly reduced in extent, the building possesses an immense and wonderful spirit of peace.

    After surrendering to Henry 8th, as part of the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1540, the monastic buildings were mostly pulled down.

    Edward Paston, a well known individual of that time decided to use the masonry to build himself a new manor house. However during the demolition a workman was killed. This was considered to be a bad omen (not just by the poor workman's family!) and work was stopped.

    It is thanks to this superstition that we still have some extensive ruins to visit.

    The west front of the priory church is quite magnificent, and is an elaborate example of Early English architecture. According to Matthew Paris, the 13th Century Chronicler, this façade was built between 1226 and 1244 by Richard de Parco. The Round Window could be the earliest example of “bar tracery” in England, in which the design is made up of slender shafts and shaped stones continuing and branching out from the mullions to form a decorative pattern.

    Today the ruins of the Priory Church of St. Mary and the Holy Cross are still used as a place of worship. Managed by English Heritage In the summer months services are held at the open air alter. The church is so named because the Priory was dedicated to St. Mary and the Church to the Holy Cross. It is the nave of the church, which was originally a cruciform building with a central crossing tower. As a Benedictine foundation, the nave was used as the village church, witness the presence of the font. The church is built of local flint and Barnack limestone. The stone was brought from Northamptonshire by river and sea and up the river Stiffkey.

    The Interior is magnificent and consists of the first seven bays of the Priory Church, without the original aisles.

    The Nave Arcades show how the architectural style developed. The builders started at the east in about 1130AD. The early arches are richly decorated with zig-zag and billet mouldings, progressing to the western end where the arches are pointed and ribbed. It is unusual to find so many differing varieties of decoration. The change form Norman to Early English work can be seen running diagonally upwards, i.e. there was more building done on the ground floor than on the upper floors, and as the builders progressed upwards and westwards, they built in the latest style.

    The remains of the former ancient Rood Screen can be seen at the back of the Church. This was painted over after the Reformation with black-letter texts from Crammer’s Bible of 1539.

    Contact Details
    Address¼ mile NW of village of Binham - on - Wells on road off B1388 (OS Map 132; ref TF 982399)
    Website
    Email
    Telephone
    Fax
    Link To Map
    Enlarge picture
    Previous   
    More ads in this categoryPrint

    Site-Map - Privacy Statement & Disclaimer - Terms & Conditions - Contact Us

    Use Norfolk Tourist Information website for info on the Norfolk Broads, Norfolk Cottages, Self Catering in Norfolk, Holiday in Norfolk, Norfolk Attractions and Norfolk Hotels.

    All Categories

    © 2008 NorfolkTouristInformation.com - Website produced by cyberspace7.co.uk